Pollokshields Heritage Heritage Trail Two 

Places on Map

  1. Pollokshields West Station
  2. Tenements Forthingay Road
  3. Fotheringay Centre
  4. Hutchesons' Grammar School
  5. Clydesdale Cricket Club
  6. Titwood Tennis Club
  7. Douglas House
  8. Carslogie
  9. Titwood Bowling Club
  10. Pollokshields Trinity Church
  11. Tenements Shields Road
  12. Lorne Terrace
  13. Tenements and shops
  14. Tenements Glencairn Drive
  15. Tenements Glencairn Drive
  16. Auchinbrae
  17. Norwoodville
  18. Inglisbay
  19. Pollokshields West Church
  20. Double Villa Leslie Road
  21. Belhaven
  22. Priory Lodge
  23. Overdale
  24. Ashbank
  25. Auchenfroe & Ferguslie
  26. Knowe Terrace
  27. The Knowe
  28. Lauriston House
  29. Pollokshields Parish Church
  30. Pollokshields Primary School
  31. Albert Cross
  32. Maxwell Square
  33. Pollokshields Library
  34. Pollokshields Public School
  35. St Albert's RC Church
  36. New Victoria Gardens
  37. Miller & Lang Art Publishers
  38. Glasgow Carpet Beating Works
  39. Tramway
  40. The Hidden Gardens
  41. St Ninian's Episcopal Church

Map

Trail 2 Front Page

VillasOver 6 decades, from 1855 onwards, the more level eastern area of Pollokshields was transformed into a neighbourhood of gridded streets lined with handsome tenements, terraces, shops and public buildings. With its broad streets and pavements, and unusual three storey tenements East Pollokshields was specifically developed, through successive economic cycles, as an upmarket tenemental suburb.

The flats are relatively large varying in size from three to nine rooms – enormous compared to typical Glasgow tenements of that period where overcrowding in ‘single-ends’ was the norm. With their good proportions, generous room sizes, quality fixtures and fittings, and strict conditions prohibiting shared toilets and insisting on the provision of baths - in complete contrast to the standards elsewhere in the city, these properties catered to Glasgow’s rapidly enlarging middle class.

The first tenements were built in what was originally Prince’s Street now McCulloch Street. With their early Victorian neo-classical detailing these tenements contained the largest flats in Pollokshields with nine rooms spread over the two upper storeys – all later subdivided. As development gradually spread south, civilising features – the allotments of New Victoria Gardens, public baths, and the then model children’s playground of Maxwell Square – were introduced to serve the needs of a growing population.

Later tenements to the south and west of Nithsdale and Shields Road are some of the finest in Scotland scattered amongst them some of the very best Glasgow style tenements. These have full height wally (or tiled) closes, encaustic floor tiles, terrazzo staircases and stained glass lights to front doors. Architects of the tenements included Alexander ‘Greek’ Thomson, HE Clifford and Boston Burnet and Carruthers.

Development of the suburb was rapid and by 1880 East Pollokshields assumed Burgh status with a population of 4360. It was not separate for long though, as by 1891 parliamentary legislation enabled the extension of Glasgow’s boundaries to encompass the whole of Pollokshields. Construction continued until 1910 when Lloyd George’s Peoples Budget put an end to speculative tenement development, by which point the suburb was largely complete.

Due to strict feuing conditions East Pollokshields wound up with a wealth of notable features excluded from its western neighbour. These include a series of good churches, handsome schools, and an exuberant Edwardian baroque Carnegie library. They also include, on its easternmost fringe, an industrial area providing Pollokshields with service trades that could not be accommodated elsewhere. Even here are hidden gems including one of the best art nouveau buildings in Glasgow and the former Coplawhill Tram depot, now Tramway, the last remaining fragment of municipal Glasgow’s extensive tram network. Collectively these features reflect the self confident urban prosperity of Victorian and Edwardian Glasgow.


Pollokshields Heritage would like to thank the following for their contribution in the completion and design of the Pollokshields Heritage Trail Leaflets: June Bell, Paul O'Cuinn, Ann Laing, Karen Currie, Helen McNamara, Evelyn Lennie, Roger Millar, Niall Murphy, David Hart, Fiona Frank, ClydeUnion Pumps and Glasgow Life.

We are grateful for the funding received from the Heritage Lottery Fund and Glasgow City Council.

Text & Layout © Pollokshields Heritage 2012.

Pollokshields Heritage is a charity registered in Scotland (no.SC030101).

Heritage Lottery Fund   Glasgow City Council

Notable Residents