Pollokshields Heritage  

“OLD POLLOKSHIELDS” ERRATA

Inside front cover:

The red sandstone church on the prime church site south of the Clyde at the corner of Glencairn Drive / Shields Road was Trinity Church, later Glencairn Church, burnt out in 1988.
Titwood Church was the grey sandstone church built at the corner of Glencairn Drive / Leslie Road, designed by H E Clifford.

Inside back cover: 

View is from the junction of Shields Road and Glencairn Drive.
The first-ever street on the left (and on the right) is Newark Drive.
The next junction is with Nithsdale Road and with Leven Street.

Page 12:  

Maxwell Park was gifted to his feuars by Sir John Stirling Maxwell in 1888, after his coming-of-age.

Page 25:    

This picture is of the magnificent tenements of Olrig Terrace in Shields Road and Newark Drive, looking south from Nithsdale Road. The distant spire is one of the gracious twin spires of Trinity Church at the corner of Shields Road / Glencairn Driver.

Page 27: 

The present Albert Drive runs from Pollokshaws Road to Terregles Avenue.

Page 28:

The first street to the left (and to the right) is Keir Street. 
No bombs hit Pollokshields in 1941. Residents of northern flats reported only superficial damage from the ‘landmine’ that was jettisoned on railway land just north of St Andrew’s Road. 
When Centre Street and Midland Street were heavily bombed, many survivors were evacuated to Pollokshields to be voluntarily housed by local residents.

Page 32:

Cochrane’s, our first chain store, on the right, at the corner of Herriet Street.

Page 33:

Two contemporary rival builders of much of Pollokshields were George Hamilton, who used architects Fryers & Penman, while James Marr used architect Alexander Petrie.

Page 36: 

Darnley Gardens, viewed from its corner with Mariscat Road, faces towards the Cathcart Circle, and was originally named as part of Shawmoss Road.

Page 39:  

View of north Shields Road shows Kinning Park Free Church beyond the Mount Florida-bound tramcar.
The Church opened in 1862 and the Shields Road Underground Station (1896) is still on its adjacent site.

Page 41:

The tramcar is turning from Nithsdale Road into St Andrew’s Drive, where it would be time-checked at the ‘Bundy’ clock at Nithsdale Cross.

Page 42:

This is the junction of Nithsdale Road with Fleurs Avenue (on the right), showing the electricity sub-station.  The Paisley Canal Railway line (not seen in this picture) in the cutting behind the substation technically marked the boundary of Pollokshields and Dumbreck.

Maxwell Road was not part of Maxwell Drive; conversely the entire villa section of Maxwell Road was altered to Maxwell Drive c 1882.

Page 46

Kingston Bowling Green land was granted by Sir William Stirling Maxwell.

 SHEILA M. OGILVIE, 2011.

- Do inform us if you spot any more!

Word file available here.