Pollokshields Heritage Projects

Maxwell Park Station

Maxwell Park StationThis 'B' Listed station was built by the Caledonian Railway company. It was designed by Frank Colledge who designed Maxwell Park Station (and the other Cathcart Circle stations). Opened in 1894 when the Cathcart Railway was extended to become the Cathcart Circle. Handsomely located in a shallow cutting, the station building is in the Victorian 'vernacular' style. Wagons delivering masonry blocks for new villas and tenements were delivered to the nearby goods line when it first opened. For many years a bookstall on the ground floor was the neighbourhood's sole shop. Prize-winning flower beds and hanging baskets were a feature of the station until the mid sixties, and a coal fire warmed the waiting room in winter. Previously there were porters to help with luggage. Electrification (first suggested in 1899!) was introduced in 1961. By the late 1970s the bookstall had closed and the station was de-staffed in 1986, although the stationmaster's house was inhabited for a few more years.

Railtrack carried out a reconstruction of the exterior in 1999/2000 but the internal shell remained unoccupied. In recent years one of the aims of the society has been to ensure the future occupation of the building. To this end an options appraisal, including community consultation, was pursued with the Glasgow Building Preservation Trust from 2006 - 08. The conclusion of the Options appraisal is that it will cost £750,000 + to regenerate the building with water drainage and sewage connections which were omitted when the building was originally refurbished. This is largely down to extraordinary costs due to the building being on a island platform, in a deep cutting, with operating railway tracks and high voltage power cables either side. Health and Safety would be a major issue resulting in many works having to take place outwith railway operating hours. Given costs it is unlikely to receive funding from either the array of grant funders or railway companies at the current time as it would not be considered value for money especially given priorities elsewhere in the network. Consequently towards the end of 2008 PH entered into an arrangement with First Scotrail under their Adopt-a- Station scheme and have received grant monies from Glasgow City Council’s South Area committee and the Railway Heritage Trust to refurbish the former ticket office at street level into a meeting room available for small community group meetings and as a venue for exhibitions.

PH has also begun an environmental improvement programme with planters appearing on the station platform and more to follow shortly.

The Meeting room was opened by Jack Kernahan former local resident and author of “The Cathcart Circle” on 15th January 2009 with delegates including Tom Harris MP and Councillor David Meikle present. The meeting room is available to hire at very favourable rates and has attracted considerable interest to date.

PH has also hosted two exhibitions to date. The first in June 2009 was on ‘Adopt-a-station’ highlighting some of the most successful examples in Scotland. The second, to coincide with September 2009’s Doors Open Day weekend, concerned the built heritage of Pollokshields with diagrams explaining the development of the suburbs, memorabilia, and sketches highlighting some of the fine Victorian and Edwardian domestic and ecclesiastical architecture that make up the suburbs.