Pollokshields Heritage Worship

Trams in Albert Drive, Pollokshields

All photographs © J. L. Snr and ‘Hamish’ Stevenson unless stated otherwise, with thanks for the use of the images.

Standard Car 66 approaching Shields Road, February 16, 1958

  1. Standard Car 66 approaching Shields Road, February 16, 1958

Standard Car 779 passing Albert Road Academy, October 1959

  1. Standard Car 779 passing Albert Road Academy, October 1959

‘Coronation’ Car 1258 crossing Herriet St, 6 March 1960

  1. ‘Coronation’ Car 1258 crossing Herriet St, 6 March 1960

‘Coronation’ Car 1220 at Albert Cross,  4 June 1960

  1. ‘Coronation’ Car 1220 at Albert Cross, 4 June 1960

Standard Car 883 and a ‘Cunarder’ pass at the junction with Matilda Road. Photo: R. B. Parr

  1. Standard Car 883 and a ‘Cunarder’ pass at the junction with Matilda Road. Photo: R. B. Parr

Open top ‘white car’ at Shields Road crossing c.1920 (no route numbers at this time.)  Photographer unknown; from a contemporary postcard.

  1. Open top ‘white car’ at Shields Road crossing c.1920 (no route numbers at this time.)  Photographer unknown; from a contemporary postcard.

‘Cunarder’ 1330 heading West, 9 April 1960.

  1. ‘Cunarder’ 1330 heading West, 9 April 1960. The ‘Cunarder’ trams were a post-war development of the Coronation trams, and were the last new double-deck trams to be built in the UK. The last all-new double deck car’ built, No.1392, is preserved in Glasgow's Riverside Museum. Photo W.A.C. Smith

‘Cunarder 1324 passing Matilda Road, 4 June 1960

  1. ‘Cunarder 1324 passing Matilda Road, 4 June 1960

Standard Car 363 westbound, passing Craig-Ard,, 343 Albert Drive, 25 October 1958.

  1. Standard Car 363 westbound, passing Craig-Ard, 343 Albert Drive, 25 October 1958.

Standard Car 579 at St Andrews Drive, 1 August 1955. Driver posing!Photo: R J S Wiseman

  1. Standard Car 579 at St Andrews Drive, 1 August 1955. Driver posing! Photo: R J S Wiseman

Standard Car 363 westbound, passing Craig-Ard,, 343 Albert Drive, 25 October 1958.

  1. Standard Car 363 westbound, passing Craig-Ard,, 343 Albert Drive, 25 October 1958.

 

‘Coronation’ Car 1242, Shields Road crossing, 6 March 1960

  1. ‘Coronation’ Car 1242, Shields Road crossing, 6 March 1960

Cunarder’ Car 1335 at the end of the single-line test track at Kenmure Street junction. 

  1. Cunarder’ Car 1335 at the end of the single-line test track at Kenmure Street junction.  The city-bound No.3 route left Albert Drive here and turned into Kenmure Street on its way to Eglinton Toll via Maxwell Road. June 1960.

Refurbished ‘Coronation’ Car 1173 on the test track, August 1962. Photo: Geoff W. Ryder

  1. Refurbished ‘Coronation’ Car 1173 on the test track, August 1962. Photo: Geoff W. Ryder

‘Cunarder’ 1369  on test track at Forth Street, 29 August 1960

  1. ‘Cunarder’ 1369  on test track at Forth Street, 29 August 1960

Coronation’ car 1160 on test track at Kenmure Street junction.

  1. Coronation’ car 1160 on test track at Kenmure Street junction.

Preparations for the historical parade of trams at the closure of the Corporation Tramways system in September 1962.

  1. Preparations for the historical parade of trams at the closure of the Corporation Tramways system in September 1962. Car 1088, a single-deck ‘room and kitchen car 672 and a horse-drawn car 543, all lovingly restored and repainted line up on the test track at Pollokshields East station. 8 August 1962. Note the replacement for the No. 3 tram, a No. 59 bus in the background…

Cars 779, 1088, 672 and 543 in pristine condition. Date as above

  1. Cars 779, 1088, 672 and 543 in pristine condition. Date as above

As above

  1. As above

As above

  1. As above

Car 543 is man-handled out of the Coplawhill Works (Tramway). Date as above.

  1. Car 543 is man-handled out of the Coplawhill Works (Tramway). Date as above.

Two open-top cars at the Works. Probably pre-First World War.  Photographer unknown, but possibly the Corporation itself.

  1. Two open-top cars at the Works. Probably pre-First World War.  Photographer unknown, but possibly the Corporation itself.

Works interior 1962.  ‘Cunarders’ 1336 and 1377 looking rather the worse for wear.	Note buses in the background…..

  1. Works interior 1962.  ‘Cunarders’ 1336 and 1377 looking rather the worse for wear. Note buses in the background…..

Permanent Way maintenance Car 23 leaves the Works. 24 June 1960. (Hamish Stevenson appears on the right.) The sailors are a mystery!

  1. Permanent Way maintenance Car 23 leaves the Works. 24 June 1960. (Hamish Stevenson appears on the right.) The sailors are a mystery!

Driving School Car 1017 outside Coplawhill Works in the snow on 23 February 1958. This unique tram is now in the collection of Summerlee Industrial Museum, Coatbridge

  1. Driving School Car 1017 outside Coplawhill Works in the snow on 23 February 1958. This unique tram is now in the collection of Summerlee Industrial Museum, Coatbridge

Works Car 16 at the junction of Barrland Street, 11 August 1959

  1. Works Car 16 at the junction of Barrland Street, 11 August 1959

Two redundant ‘Coronation’ Cars, 1398 and 1195, being moved into the Barrland Street yards in September 1962.  The red sandstone building behind, now Walker Woodstock premises, housed the Corporation Transport uniforms store.

  1. Two redundant ‘Coronation’ Cars, 1398 and 1195, being moved into the Barrland Street yards in September 1962.  The red sandstone building behind, now Walker Woodstock premises, housed the Corporation Transport uniforms store.

A view of the Barrland Street yards with Permanent Way Cars 19, 23, 21 and 16, 28 October 1961.

  1. A view of the Barrland Street yards with Permanent Way Cars 19, 23, 21 and 16, 28 October 1961.

Trams were occasionally decorated for special events. This one encourages men to join up during the First World War.  Glasgow Corporation Tramways formed its own Battalion and their impressive Roll of Honour can be seen at the Riverside Museum.

  1. Trams were occasionally decorated for special events. This one encourages men to join up during the First World War.  Glasgow Corporation Tramways formed its own Battalion and their impressive Roll of Honour can be seen at the Riverside Museum.

Another decorated car, a disguised PWD 27, outside the Works on 5 September 1959, advertises an exhibition at the Kelvin Hall.

  1. Another decorated car, a disguised PWD 27, outside the Works on 5 September 1959, advertises an exhibition at the Kelvin Hall.

  1. Car 488 began its working life on 19 September 1903, built and despatched from the very same location it stands here, the Coplawhill Works on Albert Drive.This is an interesting shot of 488, courtesy of Hamish Stevenson, the day after it made the very last service run by a Glasgow Corporation Tramways Standard Car on 3rd June 1961, to be replaced on the 4th by a bus service. It was observed to be in visually pleasant condition that day. 488 was then donated to a transport museum in Paris where it suffered significant neglect in storage. It was returned to the UK in 2013 to be restored fully, thanks to a generous bequest, at the Boston Lodge workshops at Minffordd in North Wales. It is intended that in 2016 it will run once again at the East Anglia Transport Museum. For further extensive information, see www.488.cyberpictures.net

  1. A fine view up Albert Drive from Barrland Street on a quiet Sunday morning. Car 1115 is leaving on a special tram enthusiasts’ tour, the driver waiting for gap in the traffic!