Pollokshields Heritage TitleImage

Places of worship

  A St Ninians Scottish Episcopalian Church
  B Pollokshields Church of Scotland
  C Glasgow Gudwara
  D St Albert's RC Church
  E Masjid Noor
  F Madrassah Taleem ul Islam
  G Sherbrooke St Gilbert's Church
  H Singh Sabha Sikh Temple
  I Madrassa Zia-ul-Quran Trust
  J Guru Granth Sahib Gurdwara
     
  C Pollokshields Free Church
  N Pollokshields Congregational Church
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
  E Site of Titwood Established Church
  F Site of Pollokshields Trinity UP Church
  D Site of Pollokshields United Presbyterian Church
  O Site of St Gilberts' Church
     
     
     
     

St Ninians Scottish Episcopalian Church corner of Albert Drive and Pollokshaws Road,was the first Episcopal church to be built on the south side of the city. Designed by David Thomson, it was begun in 1872 and is early French Gothic in style, with an impressive Victorian interior.

Pollokshields Church of Scotland opened in 1878, and was designed by Robert Baldie in Mixed Gothic style, is lavishly furnished and famed for its stained glass windows.

Pollokshields Free Church, Architect W.G.Rowan, has been adapted for use as a nursing home.

Pollokshields United Presbyterian Church, Architect W.F.McGibbon, on the corner of Herriet Street and Leslie Street. Destroyed by fire in 1983.

Titwood Established Church, Architect H.E.Clifford, at the corner of Glencairn Drive and Leslie Road, dismantled and re-erected in 1954 as St James' Pollok.

Pollokshields Trinity United Presbyterian Church, Architect H.E.Clifford, on the corner of Glencairn Drive and Shields Road, destroyed by fire in 1988.

St Albert's R.C. Church was designed as Stockwell Free Church in a free Italian Renaissance style by J.B.Wilson and dates from 1886/7.

Sherbrooke St Gilberts Church, Architect W.F. McGibbon, buit at the corner of Nithsdale Road and Sherbrook Avenue. Destroyed by fire in 1994 but restored and refurbished to open in 1998.

St Gilberts' Church, Architects: Stewart and Patterson, built on the corner of Sherbrooke Avenue and Hamilton Avenue. Dismantled and re-errected as Burnside Church of Scotland.

Pollokshields Congregational Church dates from 1903. Designed by Steele & Balfour in Gothic mid-pointed style, built in red sandstone and without a tower. Now the Fotheringay Centre for Hutchesons' Grammar School

Madrassah Taleem ul Islam, 161 Nithsdale Road. In 1929 this was a synagogue for the Orthodox Hebrew Congregation of Pollokshields was established at in 1929. It closed in 1984 when the villa reverted to residential use. Then became the Madrassah

Masjid Noor, A traditional Mosque dates from 1979 in Forth Street.

Madrassa Zia-ul-Quran Trust, 257 Kenmure Street,

Guru Granth Sahib Gurdwara opened at 163 Nithsdale Road in 1966.

Shri Guru Tegh Bahadur Gurdwara was opened at 32 St Andrew's Drive for the Bhatra Singh section of the Sikh community in 1966.

Glasgow Gurdwara Albert Drive marks progress for the Sikh community by proudly serving the Sikh community as the first purpose built Gurdwara in Scotland. Situated in multicultural Pollokshields, the Gurdwara acts as a cultural, educational and religious hub for Sikhs and the wider community.

 

 

 


Glencairn Drive showing the former Trinity and Titwood churches.